Todos los casos de Chile

CEFAA’s Director gives lecture at aerospace diplomate ANEPE 2020

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 6 nov 2020, 6:32 por Plataforma Sites Dgac

CEFAA’s Director, Hugo Camus Palacios, gave a class on the Civil Aeronautics General Administration and the State of Chile and CEFAA’s role in the safety of air operations.
The facade of the National Academy for Political and Strategic Studies (ANEPE).
The class at the National Academy for Political and Strategic Studies (ANEPE, for its Spanish acronym) was given via teleconference to students from different public and private institutions, including the Aeronautics Administration, the Chilean Air Force, the Chilean Army and the National Navy, in addition of foreign students.

On the occasion, it was detailed how CEFAA cooperates in maintaining high safety standards along with operational safety, airport, air navigation and meteorology services. 

To introduce the subject of anomalous aerial phenomena, it was summarized what has been its evolution in contemporary history. 

Then Camus explained the structure on which this body works, supported by internal and external advisers, and also by advisers from the Armed Forces, Public Order and Security. 

Through presentations and the exhibition of videos, the participants were shown how CEFAA researchers work from the moment a report is received until it ends with an Executive Report and its conclusions. 

Statistics from the last years and the first semester of 2020 were briefly displayed along with variables that interested the attendees. 

The inauguration of an Operations Center was highlighted, from which the movements of satellites, mainly Iridium and Starlink, are monitored and followed in real time, as well as the international space station and the movement of air traffic within the airspace under the responsibility of our country, that covers 32 million square kilometers.

Likewise, recreations with original audios of cases of aerial phenomena witnessed in Chile were exhibited, such as the one recorded by the control towers of the Chacalluta and Diego Aracena airports along with the crews of fishing prospecting aircraft in 1983. 

This case is emblematic due to its characteristics, among which the interruption of communications between the aircraft and the control towers of both airports stands out.

The AWA Case

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 25 nov 2015, 6:02 por Plataforma Sites Dgac   [ actualizado el 6 nov 2020, 6:06 ]

On the afternoon of September 3, 2012, at 7:45 p.m., local time, a Hospital of the Chilean Air Force’s ambulance entered into the courtyard of the Air War Academy, with the purpose of loading fuel, a normal maneuver in that unit. The vehicle was driven by a motorized equipment operator, accompanied by a paramedic and who, along with the AWA service noncommissioned officer, observed five lights in formation to the East that, in the first instance, they thought to be helicopters.

When they realized that the lights were approaching and descending towards the Academy sector, they suspended the loading of fuel and could see that the lights stopped their flight at the Eastern edge of the complex, at an estimated distance of 50 meters. While the noncommissioned officer run to the guard to call for help and shouted to alert the sentry stationed at the entrance of the unit, both the paramedic and the ambulance driver recorded the phenomenon they were witnessing with their cell phones.

From the South side of the central AWA building, they could see that the lights began to perform maneuvers, initially forming a triangle and then a circle, without the slightest noise, to finally ascend to the Northeast, turning off. 

The three witnesses glimpsed the circular shape of the lights rotating on their own axis. The duration of the phenomenon, according to the witnesses, was 3 to 5 minutes.

Caso AGA - 1


Caso AGA - 2

Ver más información del caso en documento adjunto al pie.

The Montgolfier Balloon Case

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 29 jul 2015, 11:27 por Plataforma Sites Dgac   [ actualizado el 6 nov 2020, 6:04 ]

In February, 2001, CEFAA launched an investigation after receiving reports from air traffic controllers and pilots from the Calama airfield. 

The report was of a UFO moving high (over 50,000 feet) in a general Eastern-Western direction at 2:00 p.m. UTC on February 16, 2001, at an observed speed between 100 and 200 km/hour. The phenomenon was visible for around 30 minutes. 

The sighting was made known by local television channels and caused great excitement. Once the investigation was carried out, analyzing all the available evidence, it was possible to verify that it was a Montgolfier Balloon launched by France’s Air Service of CNRS, in coordination with Brazil for the study of the Earth’s upper atmosphere. 

In 1977, this French organization had the idea of using Montgolfier Infrared Balloons for the study of the upper atmosphere. This globe was built as a 40,000 m3 hot air balloon, heated during the day by the radioactive flow of heat from the sun and at night by the flow of infrared rays emanating from the Earth.

The balloon was launched from the town of Bauru, in Southeastern Brazil, on February 15, 2001, and flew over the city of Calama on February 16 of the same year, causing alarm among those who witnessed the event.

At the time of the balloon overflight, F-5 aircraft were in the area conducting training. They were notified about the presence of the UFO, went to investigate and were able to identify it.

The corresponding trajectory of the Montgolfier globe, which followed the system of circulation of the winds, is reported in the document sent by the French agency and corroborated by Brazil.

Maipú's paratroopers

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 29 jul 2015, 11:00 por Plataforma Sites Dgac   [ actualizado el 5 nov 2020, 7:10 ]

On January 31, 1998, at 8:30 PM, during a birthday celebration in a house in Maipú, a video was shot that CEFAA called "Maipú's paratroopers". 

After receiving the information, CEFAA began the investigation and send a copy of the video to be analyzed by the National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS), in the United States of America. 

Here we present the result of those diligences: Witness "I saw around five fellows flying, as if they had balloons over their heads. More than balloons, they looked kind of like color papers. They were not falling, but they floated and moved slowly. They appeared from the South and passed over our vertical".

Roberts Island case in Antarctica

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 29 jul 2015, 8:13 por Plataforma Sites Dgac   [ actualizado el 5 nov 2020, 7:04 ]

Note: The names of the witnesses have been changed upon request.

During the Second International Geophysical Year (1956 to 1958), four Chileans —two prominent scientists, an aide and a nurse sergeant from the Navy— were taken by helicopter to Roberts Island, in Antarctica, and were left there for a month in a metal shelter, with a battery-powered radio transmitter and the necessary equipment to study the geology, fauna and flora of the region. 

At the beginning of January, in the midst of stormy weather, the expedition members verified a fact that the certainty of their rescue, set for January 20, played down: the radio equipment broke down, preventing them from communicating with the rest of the world. 

Dr. Tagle (pseudonyms are used at the request of the witnesses of these events) used to get up during conventional nights to watch some meteorological phenomenon. Professor Barros, who did not share this custom, had forbidden his colleague to wake him up, even though all the Northern lights in the world floated over Roberts. But on January 8, Dr. Tagle risked breaking this prohibition and interrupted Barros’ sleep.

Seeing Dr. Tagle’s expression, Barros proceeded to put on the necessary equipment to face the minus 21 degrees Celsius outside. The sun was shining to the southwest and the sky, now cloudless, was imposing over the ice with a deep limpid blue. The Navy’s meteorological reports show that such a period of bonanza has rarely been seen in the region. 

Dr. Tagle pointed to the sky to the North, almost directly above his head, and the grumpy Barros could see two metal cigar-shaped devices, upright, perfectly still —one located almost on the meridian and the other separated from the first by a few 30 degrees— reflecting the Sun’s rays. Not without a secret unease reinforced by Tagle’s excitement, Barros examined the devices with his binoculars. They had the apparent size of the full Moon and their compact appearance and smooth metal surfaces were evidence of their artificial origin. 

The academics decided not to wake up their mates to let them find out about the phenomenon by themselves. There was the possibility, although remote, that both scientists were prey to a hallucination, which they could have communicated to their companions by telling them about the objects. They then moved away a hundred meters from the camp and at about seven in the morning the Sergeant Nurse appeared. He used to leave the shelter in a T-shirt to do some morning physical exercises and maintain his athletic condition. Almost immediately both scientists heard him yell: “Professor, professor, flying disks!”. 

The aide rose, too, and soon the four men were contemplating the phenomenon, now convinced that it was not a mirage. The objects were still motionless, as if they had been part of the sky since time immemorial.

At about nine o’clock in the morning, object one, that is, the one closest to the meridian, abruptly took a horizontal position and moved West at a very high rate of speed, lost its metallic shine, turned to ultraviolet, changed course at a sharp angle, without stopping, and it traveled another stretch of the sky at the same speed to take a new direction. It continued its dizzying maneuvers zigzagging, braking abruptly, accelerating with instantaneous speed, moving over the heads of the observers, always following tangential trajectories with respect to the Earth and all in absolute silence. After about five minutes of that display of energy, it went to park next to its companion, almost in its original position, although now separated from the other by about 50 degrees.

The other object, which remained motionless while the first one performed its maneuvers, broke the stillness in turn and, heading East, made a dozen broken flights, with abrupt changes of course, offering the same color changes when accelerating or stopping. About three minutes later it stopped next to its partner and regained its metallic looks. 

The expedition had two highly sensitive Geiger-Miller detectors, one for audio and the other for scintillation. After the objects returned to their original position, someone discovered that the scintillation detector revealed that ambient radioactivity had increased 40 times, that is, it could cause death to an organism subjected to it for a prolonged period. This discovery aggravated the fears of the expedition members. 

The temperature kept at about 15 to 20 degrees Celsius below zero, without a vapor altering the purity of the sky. No one was able to do anything during that day except to observe the objects. The sensation of having become microorganisms, placed under a microscope, coldly examined by untold eyes, did not allow the men to concentrate on their usual tasks. Although they lacked of a telephoto lens, they took numerous photos both in color and in black and white. 

Barros did not fear an attack by the objects, but his rigorously rational scientific mentality did not agree to the idea of finding himself in front of a phenomenon marginalized from all science, and as the hours went by, he was more and more convinced of being faced with a phenomenon of non-human origin, of being spied on by an intelligence that wished to remain anonymous for some reason, and whose next steps were unpredictable. 

At dusk, in an attempt to ignore that presence, the four expedition members set out North along the coast. The refuge, located in the bed of an ancient glacier, rose some sixty meters above sea level, so that when the men moved, it was not long before they were covered from the objects by a sharp cliff. But suddenly a flash appeared, which disappeared again in a fraction of seconds on the cliff, as if that maneuver had been designed exclusively to warn them that there was nothing to gain by hiding. It was approximately nine o’clock at night when the men returned to the camp and the objects were still in their same position. 

During the night —always with the sun in sight— nobody could sleep. Nothing special happened during the evening or in the early hours of the second day. The men, sleepless and without appetite, were reaching the limit of their physical endurance. 

At dusk that day, cirrus clouds appeared, which in Antarctica form at an altitude of seven to ten thousand meters and constitute the prelude of storms. Using this measurement, professor Barros determined with a theodolite the height of the objects to be around eight thousand meters and their length to something like 150 meters. Its largest diameter was estimated at twenty-five meters. These data are quite reliable because one of the clouds cast a slight shadow on one of the objects. The discovery enlightened professor Barros. Taking a polarizing lens, used to determine the composition of rocks and other substances by deflecting light, he directed the instrument screen toward objects, and turned on the spotlight. Almost instantaneously, object number one emitted an intense light and when it was extinguished, the object had descended noticeably. Its apparent size was that of a small car, that is, something like three meters in length. Dr. Tagle, who was observing it with binoculars, thought he could make out a kind of hatch in the upper part, but that couldn’t be confirmed by Barros. 

That unusual descent, which seemed to be a reaction of the object to the signal made by Barros with the polarizing lens, provoked a nervous breakdown in Tagle. He destroyed the lens with a kick. Object one rose again and began another series of evolutions. During one of these flights, professor Barros, using the previously estimated altitude, determined its speed to be around 40,000 kilometers per hour, that is, almost the speed of escape on the ground. Considering that objects started from zero and reached this speed instantaneously, and then braked abruptly, without a progressive deceleration, the inertia inside them should be deadly for any living creature, except that it had its own gravitational field, according to French Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Jean Plantier’s theories on the propulsion system of flying discs.

At around eleven o’clock at night, the “blizzard” began to blow, an Antarctic wind capable of reaching speeds of 300 kilometers per hour and the sky was covered with clouds. Around two in the morning, in the midst of a raging storm, it was verified that the radioactivity had decreased. At the same time, the psychological tension in the men eased. Even before they could check it visually, they were certain that the objects were gone. The next day the radioactivity returned to its normal level. In the afternoon, during a lull in the storm, the sky cleared almost forty percent and the objects were no longer there.

On January 20, the helicopter rescued the four men. Although they did not dare to narrate their adventure, for fear of ridicule, they decided to open up to a high ranking officer of the Chilean Navy, who was not altered with the story. The Officer was aware of many observations of unidentified flying objects, sighted in almost all expeditions to Antarctica, although none as long or as precise as those of Barros and Tagle. The ATIC (the United States of America’s Air Technical Intelligence Center) also sent them a very extensive questionnaire that Barros and Tagle filled out and returned.

1-5 of 5