New Zealand case - Bubble of Light

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 29 jul 2015, 11:44 por Plataforma Sites Dgac   [ actualizado el 2 nov 2020, 6:12 ]
Date: 1984.
Place: Los Angeles-Tahiti Route, near the Equator.
Aircraft: Boeing 747-200.
Witnesses: Captain George Richardson and co-pilot, and Captain Neil Pullem and co-pilot.

Captain Richardson is a retired New Zealand airline pilot, with a total of approximately 18,000 flight hours. He has also been an air traffic controller. 


An anomalous light phenomenon was sighted that illuminated a huge area with extremely powerful light. It happened on a clear night after the Moon was out of sight below the horizon. The duration of the phenomenon was approximately 5 minutes. 

Captain Richardson was flying on the Los Angeles to Tahiti route and was near the Equator. The plane remained at an altitude between 33 and 35 thousand feet. 

Captain Pullem's plane was on the Honolulu to Nadi route more or less on a nearly parallel route, 1,000 miles away from Captain Richardson. 

The pilots were chatting on the VHF radio when Captain Richardson heard the other pilots exclaim “What the heck is that!" 

The pilots of both planes suddenly found themselves flying on the edge of what Captain Richardson describes as "a huge dome of very bright light - extremely bright that illuminated the ocean 80 to 100 miles ahead - so much so that it seemed like daylight. All the low cloud accumulations were clearly visible and even the sea conditions could be appreciated”. 

A bubble of light 

The most disturbing but intriguing thing about this luminosity was that it did not come from any visible source; the light did not form like a ray emanating from some area or point. It did not appear to glow from above or below or have the characteristics of known artificial or natural lights. 

Captain Richardson commented that he had never seen anything like it. It was like a bubble of light producing its own energy. The light was extremely white and intense and seemed to radiate in all directions within that area, maintaining very clear “boundaries”. 

Captain Richardson could see the phenomenon to his starboard while the other aircraft observed it on his port side. While observing the light phenomenon the pilots felt alarmed and fearful, worried about the safety of their aircraft and about what actions they should take. They even thought the light could come from an atomic explosion, although there was no evidence of any taking place, no shock waves or turbulence. They continued to fly their routes, discussing their courses of action when, just as it began, the massive area of light "went out" and both planes were once again engulfed in darkness.

The pilots did not report the incident at the time. They concluded that if they did, they would be interviewed "by men in white coats if they made any public reference to the incident." "We decided to keep quiet as the New Zealand Airlines Operations Officer was an unsympathetic man and there was no need to upset him with this type of information".