New Zealand case 1978

publicado a la‎(s)‎ 29 jul 2015, 13:14 por Plataforma Sites Dgac   [ actualizado el 2 nov 2020, 6:11 ]
Date: September 1978.
Time: 0130 Local Time.
Location: Just North of Samoa on the Auckland-Honolulu route.
Plane: DC 10-30.
Witness: Co-Pilot George Richardson and Pilot. 

Captain Richardson is a retired New Zealand airline pilot who has flown DC 10-30 and Boeing 747-200 aircraft. He is licensed as a transportation pilot and recreational pilot. He has a total of approximately 18,000 flight hours. He was in commercial aviation from 1961 to 1991 and was an Air Traffic Controller from 1961 to 1965. 

Details: The duration of the first sighting was more or less 10 seconds and it was a positive sighting of a vehicle. (Unidentified air vehicle). Air conditions were stable with some flat clouds. The stars were visible but there was no Moon. 

The DC 10 was at cruising flight level at about 33,000 feet, just north of Samoa. Captain Richardson (then co-pilot) describes that night as very black, very dark. The plane was flying over strata of clouds and he was peering out of the cockpit window when he spotted a very bright white light approaching rapidly above the clouds and exclaimed, "Traffic to our left." 

The light was moving from west to east from 270 to 090 magnetic degrees. The light (vehicle) crossed the path of the DC-10 from left to right. They were traveling north, approximately 010 Magnetic, and the vehicle was heading east at the same level. The vehicle crossed his path very close - about 150 feet away. For a couple of seconds both pilots thought they were going to collide with the object. 

The two pilots observed a very large cylindrical object, about 150 feet long, with large oval windows about 3 feet wide, emitting a very strong white light. The object did not show sections such as wings, tail or rudder and was clearly a solid metal structure. They estimated it was traveling at over 500 knots (575 mph, or 926 kph) and disappeared behind them on the starboard side. 

The pilots were able to observe the cylindrical object for approximately 3 to 4 seconds. It had roughly the same structure and shape as the fuselage of a DC-10, without the tail or wings. The front had a rounded tip while a third of its rear narrowed abruptly. Captain Richardson commented that the vehicle did not produce any turbulence.